Service de médecine interne
29, Av. de Lattre de Tassigny
54035 NANCY Cedex
Vol 2 - n° 6
Avoid eating papaya, pineapple in certain cases and foods containing papain:
yoghurts, drinks or mixtures of dried tropical fruits.
• Avoid drinking beer and coca cola.
• Avoid using papain salt (the industrial use of papain as a meat
tenderizer is prohibited in France), but it is available on the market.
• Avoid prescription of medical products containing papain :
Lysopaine ENT, Hexalyse, digestive enzymes, Pancréal Kirchner,
Papain Trouette-Perret, also Extranase, Tétranase (containing bromelaine),
some detersive ointments containing papain.
• Do not perform chemionucleolysis with Chymodiactine.
• If the patient wears contact lenses, they should not be cleaned
with a solution containing papain (Hydrocare).
• Papain and bromelaine may be inhaled during some industrial or
laboratory procedures. Advice concerning risk of exposure is proposed.
to avoidance diet